Wednesday 3 January 2018

Revelations

Every day I resolve to eat more healthily and do some exercise to improve my well-being. Every day I get to the end of the day annoyed with myself for not doing all that I could have towards being healthier. I spend almost all day every day arguing with myself about why I am/am not going to eat that food or do that activity.

Recently I began reading a book (recommended by the Healthy Food Guide) called Intuitive Eating. I also got the workbook and have signed up for the community. It is a very freeing read. I'm sure that inside it describes the food relationship and inner voice for everyone in there somewhere. For me the biggest eye opener was the statement,
...dieting rules also trigger an inner rebellion, because they are an assault on your personal autonomy and boundaries. 
Tribole, Evelyn. The Intuitive Eating Workbook: Ten Principles for Nourishing a Healthy Relationship with Food (A New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) (Kindle Locations 618-619). New Harbinger Publications. Kindle Edition. 
I know that it is rebellion that leads to my poor choices. My desire to be in control of me and not be dictated to or required to fit a mold. As well as not wanting to feel deprived.

The book helped me to see that I have been on a 'diet' my whole life. In this case I am defining a diet as being a set of rules about what I can and can't eat (good vs bad food) and how much exercise and when to exercise. Whilst I have been successful on occasions in losing some weight (and on others of just maintaining it) I have generally not felt good about it.

Today, I resolve to give up dieting. I realise that this is going to be a process and there will be times when I am not aware of the diet mentality creeping in but each day I am going to work on using the language of Intuitive Eating.

Food
Am I hungry?
Do I want it?
Will I be deprived if I don't eat it?
Will it be satisfying?
Will it taste good?
I deserve to enjoy eating without guilt.

Exercise
I focus on the way exercise makes me feel especially the energising and stress-relieving factors.

Progress indicators
I know when I am hungry and when I am full.
I trust my body cues.
I trust my food choices.
I feel good and enjoy exercise and food.

No comments:

Post a Comment