Thursday 16 June 2016

What more is there to say?

Was reminded about this quote today,

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Marianne Williamson

There is a difference between knowing and doing though. Over the past two days I have been engaged in a very confronting course called, "INSPIRATIONAL & INNOVATIVE LEADERSHIP: "LEADING OTHERS" presented by Joan Baker (www.jbaker.co.nz). While I am not currently in a leadership role I was privileged to have the opportunity and am very aware of how much my personal development could benefit from this opportunity. 

It is going to take me a long time to process the things that were shared over these two days and it would be so easy to take these things and spend time processing as an excuse to not act. The great thing is that Joan gave us some very specific tools that can be used despite not being in a leadership role that can help to prepare me for whatever is next. Things that I know already, that I have the skills for already but that my mindset and habits are interfering with. I loved how she also shared with us some resources that we can turn to to continue to get motivation and development for ourselves. 

A couple of things that are sitting at the front of my mind are:
1. The importance of asking the right questions. 
 - of myself firstly
 - of the systems and about the culture of the organisations I am involved in
 - of those I lead.

2. The importance of leading by example.

3. The importance of Health and Wellbeing in leadership.

4. The importance of knowing the 'WHY'.
 - Why are we doing what we are doing?
 - Why is it important?

5. The importance of keeping the 'WHY' in front of everyone.

6. The role of habits/behaviours.

Joan shared the acronym K.A.S.H
Knowledge - you either have it or need to get it to do the job.
Attitude [mindset] - what are the 'truths' that are influencing your decisions? Are you asking the right questions?
Skills - like knowledge, you either have them or need to get them to do the job.
Habits [behaviours] - What do you need to stop doing or start doing to represent the things that you purport to value?

No comments:

Post a Comment