Thursday 9 October 2014

Web 2.0 a revisit

About 8 years ago was when I first heard about Web 2.0. I was working full time in a Y7/8 class and was involved in an IT contract. It was great learning and still in it's infancy. I loved learning about wikis and blogs, twitter and delicious. I probably didn't really allow myself to spend the time necessary to learn about them properly myself and I only flirted with using them in the classroom.

Now during Connected Educator Month I am learning anew. Here are my musings after engaging with the Starter Kete.

Web 2.0 is linking people, it's social, it's taught by us. We need to think about ownership, culture.

The technological landscape is changing so quickly.

Students are learning to deal with a world that doesn't even know what they are going to be doing when they graduate. They learn and communicate more through social media than what they get from the text books they are required to have.

Students need to be taught how to build a Personal Learning Network, practice finding valid websites, learn how to assess and validate information.

Google Scholar?
iTunesU?

There are so many ways to engage with learning in this world. In our work world academic achievement is valued and qualifications required. How are these online learning tools represented to employers? How are they proven? or How is this going to change?

Educator as learning architect, modeler, connected learning incubator, learning concierge, change agent, network sherpa, synthesizer.

Along the way I've connected via Google Hang Outs (which I've discovered GHO is used for on twitter). I've blogged, chatted on twitter and leapt all around the internet looking up websites, wikis and blogs to find information about various teaching strategies or pedagogies. All in all I think my brain is about to explode. Thank goodness for Google Keep and Dos!

No comments:

Post a Comment